February 10, 2009

G is for Jeepers, Guys!

MTA spellers way off-off Broadway in Brooklyn
BY Veronika Belenkaya and Pete Donohue
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Tuesday, February 10th 2009

There's Broadway in Manhattan and Brodaway in Brooklyn - at least in the subway system.

A mosaic tile sign in a G train station misspells the stop's name as Brodaway instead of Broadway.

A NYC Transit spokesman said the agency would dispatch someone from the stations division to check out the spelling butchery.

Several riders Monday said they didn't notice the mistake on a tile wall across from a platform at the station.

"Oh my God, I've never noticed this before," high school teacher Varumi Tiruchlvam, 31, said.

"My students could definitely do better than this, even though some of my students are struggling with learning English and spelling."

Phillip I, 37, a ground traffic supervisor for a major airline at an area airport said he probably didn't notice it before because he commutes so early, "When I'm not really awake.

"I guess somebody made this mistake. I guess this job was done pretty early when they didn't have their coffee yet, either."

Teresa Toro of the "Save the G" committee, launched to lobby for improvements to the Brooklyn-Queens line, said she wasn't surprised by the misspelling.

After all, at the Greenpoint Ave. station in Brooklyn, one of the signs for the India St. exit says Indian St.

pdonohue@nydailynews.com


__________________________________

1 comment:

mike said...

Why are they taking this little bit of hilarity away from me? I've known about this for years. It makes it pleasant to sit in the station, reading misspelled tiles and listening to the babbling brook between the northbound rails.